Zesty Carrot Cakes
Nothing beats the fragrance of a freshly-baked tray of little carrot cakes stuffed with spices, dried fruit and a dollop of fruity wholegrain mustard.
Cuisine type: English
- - ¾ cup butter
- - 3 tbsp. chopped walnuts
- - 4 eggs
- - 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- - 1 ½ cups slivered almonds, ground (about ¾ cup ground)
- - ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- - 5 tsp. baking powder
- - Pinch of salt
- - 1 ¾ cups grated carrots (about 2 large carrots)
- - 2 tbsp. Maille Wholegrain Mustard
- - 3 tbsp. golden raisins
- - Grated peel of 2 oranges (about 3 tbsp.), divided
- - Grated peel of 1 lemon (about 1-½ tbsp.)
- - Grated peel of 1 lime (about 1 tbsp.) (optional)
- - 1½ tbsp. fresh grated ginger
- - 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- - ⅛ tsp. ground coriander (optional)
- - 1 ¾ cup confectioners sugar
- - 2 tbsp. water
- Preheat oven to 375∘. Spray 20 muffin cups with no-stick cooking spray; set aside.Melt butter with walnuts in small saucepan; set aside.
- Beat eggs with brown sugar in small bowl with electric mixer until foamy; set aside. Mix ground almonds, flour, baking powder and salt. Stir in egg mixture just until blended. Stir in walnut mixture, carrots, Maille Wholegrain Mustard, raisins, grated peels (only 1 of the orange), ginger, cinnamon and coriander until blended. Spoon evenly into prepared cups. Bake 15 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool on wire rack 10 minutes. Remove cakes from pans and cool completely.
- Blend confectioners sugar, water and remaining 1 ½ tablespoons orange peel in medium bowl. Spread on carrot cakes and let stand uncovered until set, about 2 hours.
- Prep Time:
- 20 minutes
- Cooking Time:
- 15 minutes
- 10 people