Marinated Beet Salad with Horseradish Vinaigrette
For the roasted and marinated beets:
- - 10 slices raw golden beets, sliced thinly
- - 4 oz. roasted and marinated red and golden beets
- - 2 tbsp sunflower seeds
- - 1/4 cup sunflower sprouts
- - 1/2 cup arugula
- - 1 small clove garlic, grated
- - Lemon peel
- - Basil, mint, tarragon, dill, thyme
- - White wine vinegar
- - 2 oz horseradish vinaigrette
- - Fresh horseradish to taste
- - 2 oz Humboldt Fog cheese
For the horseradish vinaigrette:
- - 1/3 cup grated horseradish
- - 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- - 2 tbsp honey
- - 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- - 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
- - 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- - Salt and pepper to taste
Chef Seamus Mullen and the Wanderlust Kitchen:
At the heart of the newly opened Wanderlust Hollywood center is the Wanderlust Café, helmed by famed chef Seamus Mullen. For Seamus, food is not just sustenance – it’s the medicine he used to heal himself from a crippling autoimmune disease. With this new series, From the Wanderlust Kitchen,Wanderlust celebrate our unique partnership with Seamus by sharing 25 of his recipes from the Café. Come to the table! And join the Wanderlust Kitchen
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In two large bowls, separate the red and golden beets. Season each with salt, pepper, grated garlic, thyme, and white wine vinegar and wrap beets individually in aluminium foil. Roast in the oven until tender when pricked, about 1 hour.
- While beets are roasting, combine all ingredients for vinaigrette and set aside.
- Remove beets from the oven, let stand to cool for a few minutes, then peel and cut into 1” irregular chunks.
- Marinate the roasted beets (separately) in olive oil, grated garlic, lemon peel, and herbs. Set aside.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine
2 oz marinated golden beet with 2 oz marinated red beet. Season with salt and pepper and add the sliced raw beet. Add arugula, sunflower sprouts, and sunflower seeds. Toss with horseradish vinaigrette. Plate and garnish with crumbled cheese and microplane of fresh horseradish.