Panna Cotta, Beetroot & Goat Cheese Crumble
The soothing creaminess of panna cotta infused with fruity wholegrain mustard offers a wonderful counterpoint to the vivid tastes of roasted baby beets and crumbled goat cheese.
Cuisine type: English
- - 1 tsp. unflavored gelatin
- - ⅔ cup whipping or heavy cream
- - ⅓ cup soy milk or milk
- - 4 tsp. Maille Wholegrain Mustard
- - ½ tsp. lemon juice
- - Pinch of salt
- - 1 cup Maille White Wine Vinegar
- - 1 cup sugar
- - 1 large purple or yellow beet, peeled and very thinly sliced (almost shaved)
- - 3 baby beets (purple, pink or yellow)
- - 1 tsp. white peppercorns
- - ½ tsp. fresh thyme leaves, divided
- - 1 tbsp. Maille Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- - ¼ tsp. Kosher salt
- - ¼ cup shelled pumpkin seeds
- - ¼ cup shelled sunflower seeds
- - ¼ cup oats
- - 8 oz. firm goat cheese
- - 1 cup baby red chard or arugula
While Nigel’s previous position at Windermere’s The Samling saw him excel with the luscious produce and inspirational backdrop of the Lakes, his current role at London’s opulent Thirty Six restaurant demands skills of a different kind: consistency and creativity in the face of fierce competition and scrutiny.
- Sprinkle gelatin over cream and milk in small saucepan. Let stand 5 minutes. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until gelatin is completely dissolved, about 5 minutes. Stir in Maille Mustard, lemon juice and pinch of salt. Let cool to room temperature.
- Arrange 4 (½-cup) molds or cups on tray and fill with gelatin mixture. Cover and chill 3 hours or overnight.
- Bring Maille Vinegar and sugar to a boil in medium saucepan, stirring occasionally. Let cool. Add large sliced beet in vinegar mixture 30 minutes before serving.
- Cover baby beets with water in 4-quart saucepot; add peppercorns and ¼ teaspoon thyme. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer until beets are tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and cool slightly.
- Peel beets and cut off any roots or stems. Cut each into 8 wedges, then toss with Maille Olive Oil and Kosher salt; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine seeds with oats and arrange on baking tray. Bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Let cool on wire rack. Turn into small bowl, then stir in remaining ¼ tsp. thyme. Cut or tear goat cheese into bite-size pieces and add to seed mixture. Toss to coat cheese with seeds; set aside.
- Unmold panna cotta by dipping into hot water up to rims 10 seconds to loosen.
Turn onto serving plates. Garnish with beet wedges, sliced beet, goat cheese crumble and chard.
- Prep Time:
- 35 minutes
- Cooking Time:
- 35 minutes
- 4 people