Duck, Chicory and Pomegranate Salad with Caramelised Pecans and a Maille dressing
Enjoy this gorgeous duck breast salad with chicory and watercress and a fabulous Maille mustard dressing. Caramelised salted pecans and pomegranate seeds add extra colour and crunch.
- 30g butter
- 4 duck breasts
- 2-3 heads chicory (red and green, preferably)
- 4 handfuls watercress
- 1 bunch spring onions, thinly sliced
- 100g radish, thinly sliced
- 100g pecan nuts
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 80g pomegranate seeds
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan oven 180°C/Gas Mark 6. Heat 20g butter in a frying pan and add the duck breasts, skin side down. Sear for a few moments, then transfer them to a roasting tin (skin side up) and roast for 20-25 minutes, or until done. Cover and leave to rest for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, break the chicory into separate leaves and arrange on 4 serving plates with the watercress, spring onions and radish
- Heat the pecans in a dry frying pan for 1-2 minutes, then add the remaining butter and sugar. Cook briefly to melt the butter and sugar, then remove from the heat after a few seconds when a little smoke begins to rise. Cool slightly, then add the sea salt.
Make the dressing by mixing together the olive oil, hazelnut oil, mustard and vinegar. Season with a pinch of salt, sugar and freshly ground black pepper.
- Slice the duck breasts and arrange on the salads. Scatter the pecans and pomegranate seeds over the top and drizzle with the dressing. Serve at once.
For a vegetarian option, use chunks of Blue Stilton cheese instead of duck breasts, or try slices of Halloumi cheese – dry-fried in a non-stick pan until golden
- Prep Time:
- 20 minutes
- Cooking Time:
- 25 minutes
- Total Time:
- 55 minutes
- 4 people