Chicken Ballottines with Blue Cheese and Vegetables
- - 4 chicken breasts (as thin as possible)
- - 1 carrot
- - 5 white button mushrooms (medium size)
- - ½ cup soft fromage frais (plain)
- - 2 teaspoons Maille Mustard with White Wine and Blue Cheese
- - ½ green lentils
- - 12 shelled walnuts
- - 2 tbsp Blue cheese
- - Salt, Pepper
- Peel the carrot and the mushrooms.
- Brunoise the carrot and mushrooms. (That is to say, cut in very small pieces.)
- Heat some oil in a frying pan and cook the vegetables over medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Stir occasionally.
- Meanwhile, mix together the fromage frais and mustard in a bowl.
- Put the lentils into a large saucepan with salted water over medium heat.
- Simmer for 40 to 45 minutes.
- If the chicken breasts appear to be too thick, trim them to the thinness of a wallet.
- Brush the chicken with the fromage frais/mustard mixture.
- Add the vegetables on top.
- Roll the meat into a cylindrical shape and secure the roll with string.
- Heat a pan with fat and cook the ballottines for 30 minutes over medium heat.
- Turn them regularly in order to obtain even cooking.
- At the end of cooking, remove the string.
- Slice the ballottines into segments. Serve with the lentils.
- Top with diced Blue cheese and crushed walnuts.
This recipe can be done via steam cooking for a more diet-friendly version. For this method, wrap the ballottines in cling film of 2 or 3 layers. Then cook in a steamer for 30 minutes.
Maille Mustard with White Wine and Blue Cheese works wonders with a rump steak in a Blue cheese and crème fraîche sauce or as an accompaniment to gnocchi in place of Gorgonzola.
- Prep Time:
- 45 minutes
- Cooking Time:
- 75 minutes
- Total Time:
- 125 minutes
- 4 people